Thursday 24 July 2014

Bili's Summery Salads

 Now we all know the main reason for coming out here is the wildlife! 


What a handsome fellow!

But the thing that makes this place extra special is the whole Bushcamp experience. And for me one of the absolute highlights is the food. Isaac and Dixon are constantly coming up with such delicious culinary delights, I often get guests asking for recipes and suggesting the chefs make a cook book. That may be a while in the making so in the meantime, my two chefs at Bili and I decided we would start a foody blog. We agreed it might be quite nice to share a few of their secrets! 

So for those of you who dont know, below are the two Bilimungwe chefs - Dixon on the left and Isaac on the right.


We decided to start with some Summery Salads for those of you looking for packed lunch inspiration. Nice and easy so no excuses not to give them a go!

Isaac and Dixon's Healthy salad


Green and yellow pepper
Broccoli, Cauliflower and Carrots all should be steamed until tender

You can add baby corn and baby marrow but today we were out of these goodies.

Coriander (or any fresh herb you have in the fridge is Isaac's suggestion)
Salt and pepper
Olive oil


Isaac and Dixon's Apple and Brocolli Salad


Sliced Apple
Steam Broccoli until tender
Blue Cheese
Iceberg lettuce 

Olive oil

I realise the big plates might not be so practical for taking to work with you, I may have to get my Mum (a certifiable expert in the field of plastic storage devices) to write me a Tupperware feature.

But if it is presentation you are interested in, why stop at just the plates?!


Jason our waiter has some very neat little tricks for making your table look as delicious as your food.




I understand of course that most of you won't have Elephant Biscuits from the Winterthorn Tree floating around your back garden, but get creative!

This was just a taster to get an idea of interest in this blog. So feedback would be very much appreciated, and if there are any recipes you wished you'd asked for on your last visit please let me know so that me and the team can feature them in our next blog! Emails to Katie.stacey@gmail.com.

Happy eating!

3 comments:

  1. I was on a month trip to Africa mainly Zambia, and at Bilimungwe, Bushcamp company i had my best food, esp the fish fry(forgot the name of it). I am drooling over the taste of the fish whenever i remember that. Katie it will be good if u could write about that fish fry sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ajay! I will definitely feature it soon for you, so that you can make it for your friends back in India. So great to have you stay with us in Bili, and looking forward to seeing all your photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For you Ajay!

    http://bilikitchensecrets.blogspot.com/2014/08/fish-fry-as-requested-by-ajay.html

    ReplyDelete